LAUNCH OF THE CONSTRUCTION OF BUSIA BORDER EXPORT ZONE
Busia Border Export Zone construction has been launched by Hon.Amelia Kyambadde Minister for Trade Industry and Cooperatives.In her remarks,the minister mentioned that exports to Kenya through Busia and Malaba majorly comprise of agricultural produce (beans, maize, millet, sugar, fish, and banana and industrial products). These products are commonly exported in their raw form without any kind of value addition.She highlighted that the Busia Border Export Zone is envisaged to have these outcomes;
- Increase in export earnings as a result of improved trade infrastructure and capacity building to the cross border traders.
- Increase in value addition as a result of the demand for quality products and amenities to add value.
- Provision of employment
- Promotion of investment through Public Private Partnerships at the export zone site
- Reduction in wastage of produce during transportation, processing and drying
- Improvement in standards and quality through the use of improved infrastructure.
She implored the people of Busia to take advantage of the construction works through;
- Provision of both skilled and non-skilled labour at the site
- Supply or construction materials such as aggregates, sand, cement and welding services etc.
- Provision of food and other survival requirements.
- Ensuring quality works at the site by contractor
The Launch was held on 10th August 2020.
Read Full speech here: