Processing and Marketing
Processing and Marketing is one of the departments under the Directorate of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs).
The Vision and Mission are pursued through the MSMEs Policy 2015 whose theme is: “Sustainable MSMEs for Wealth Creation and Social Economic Transformation”.
Vision: A critical mass of viable, dynamic and competitive MSMEs, significantly contributing to the socio-economic development.
Mission: To stimulate growth of sustainable MSMEs through enhanced business support service provision, access to finance, technical and business skills, and the creation of a conducive policy, legal and institutional framework.
- To formulate, coordinate and implement MSMEs policies, strategies, programs and budgets focused on appropriate technology transfer, access to finance, access to markets, skills enhancement, and R & D to improve MSMEs efficiency and productivity and stimulate production of high quality products that can compete in local and international markets.
Notably agro-based products given that Uganda is a predominately agrarian economy
- Carrying out MSMEs registration, creating and maintaining an MSMES Database.
- Conducting research for new products, production processes and cataloguing of appropriate technologies to support processing and value addition by MSMEs.
- Conducting surveys, publishing and disseminating economic, statistical and research information concerned with raw materials, quantity and quality of products, and creating market linkages.
- Supervising, monitoring, evaluating and reporting progress on the implementation of MSMEs promotion and development programmes and projects countrywide.
- Supporting MSMEs to participate in National, Regional and International Marketing/Business Events such as exhibitions, trade fairs, expos, inward and outward missions for market access and technology transfer promotion.
- Enhancing MSMEs’ organizational and institutional capacity building through technical guidance and training in production capabilities, good governance, financial management, branding, packaging and marketing, among others.
Policies, Laws and Strategies
- The National MSMEs Policy 2015 and the Implementation Strategy; approved by Cabinet and under implementation.
- National Grain Trade Policy 2014; approved and under implementation.
- National Grain Trade Policy Implementation Strategy, 2018-2022; approved and under implementation.
- Green Manufacturing Strategy 2020/21-2024/25. The Strategy was approved and endorsed by the Hon. Minister; awaiting launching.
- The Agricultural Produce Marketing Bill (APMB). Draft Principles were developed and consultations are ongoing.
- Draft Furniture Industry Strategy. Final wider stakeholder consultations are ongoing.
- National Packaging Development Industry Strategy (NPIDS). The draft is undergoing stakeholder consultations.
- Internationally recognized Product Coding Framework for Ugandan Products and Services (Barcodes). This is undergoing development.
Support to MSMEs
- Provided technical advice on good manufacturing practices, resource efficiency, value addition, marketing, branding and records management to 360 MSMEs that are involved in agro-processing, furniture manufacturing, metal fabrication, leather and leather products manufacturing, and crafts making.
- Provided technical support to 50 MSMEs in Masaka, Kalungu and Kyotera on Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), value addition, marketing, resource efficiency and cleaner production practices in order to increase their efficiency and productivity.
- Conducted technical field visits to the Albertine Region where we identified, provided technical advice and profiled MSMEs, in the region in preparation to take advantage and maximize exploitation of the opportunities that are being presented by the Oil and Gas industry.
- Coordinated and facilitated Uganda’s` MSMEs to participate and exhibit in the 19th, 20th and 21st EAC MSEs Exhibitions that took place in Uganda, Kenya, and Rwanda respectively.
- Carried out capacity building trainings for 70 MSMEs on resource efficiency, access to finance, compliance to Public Procurement and Disposal of Assets (PPDA) regulations in public procurement and market access.
- Established a partnership with CBS-PEWOSA to organize annual MSMEs exhibitions (Central Broadcasting Service Pewosa).
- In collaboration with Makerere University, conducted research and development of a Refractance Window Drying (RWDT) Machine that is stationed at Kabanyoro; an efficient and cleaner technology for drying fruits and vegetables; and trained MSMEs in adoption and operation of the technology (50 Farmers, 10 Machine Fabricators, and 15 Processors) from Kayunga, Luwero, Mbale, Bududa and Kampala Districts.
- Coordinated the training of 6-MTIC staff in Green House Gas (GHG) Inventory Capacity Building Course supported by the Ministry of Water and Environment (MoWE). The trained staff are contributing in developing and updating Uganda’s National greenhouse gas inventory and monitoring, reporting and verification system in particular, the Industry Sector component participating in the National Development Contribution (NDC).
- Coordinated the signing of an MOU between MoWE and MTIC 2021, concerning the collection, processing and sharing of Green House Gases (GHG) data and information between MTIC and MoWE -CCD for purposes of reporting to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
- Supported the integration of Gender and Equity priorities into sectoral development/strategic plans in line with the third national development plan (NDPIII); worked with Plan International (social and inclusive cities).
- In collaboration with Kyambogo University, organized the first Leather Academic and Practical exchange Conference (7-9th August 2019) which promotes the Triple Helix concept that brings together Government, Academia and the business community/private sector.
- In collaboration with COMESA-African Leather and Leather Products Institute mobilized and facilitated virtual-zoom trainings for 16 representatives of Leather manufacturing MSMEs association, academia, UNBS, and MTIC on different modules related to Standards and certification of products, traceability system application, designs
- Supported and launched the celebration of the International MSMEs day of 27th June 2021 to discuss the impact of the covid19 pandemic and measures to support MSMEs resilience in Uganda.
- Initiated and coordinated the signing of an MoU between MTIC, Directorate of Industrial Training and BRAC (U) (Bangladash Rural and Advancement Committee) targeting 1,000 Enterprises (individual and associations in 5 regions of Uganda for training and certification.