VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT FOR EXECUTIVE MANAGEMENT POST
The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) is a regional integration grouping of twenty-one (21) Member States who agreed to strengthen and converge their economies through the attainment of full market integration. COMESA’s main objective is to create a common market and eventually to become a part of the African Economic Community. More information can be obtained from the website http://www.comesa.int/
The Secretariat of COMESA, which is based in Lusaka, Zambia, is headed by the Secretary General, who is the Chief Executive Officer of the Common Market and is assisted by two Assistant Secretaries General, one responsible for Programmes and the other responsible for Administration and Finance.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced professionals from COMESA member states for the following post:
- JOB TITLE : ASSISTANT SECRETARY GENERAL (PROGRAMMES)
DEPT : Programmes
LOCATION : Lusaka, Zambia
REPORTING TO : Secretary General
GRADE : Executive Management 2
SALARY SCALE : COM$ 111,023
- THE PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To assist the Secretary General in the coordination and implementation of the COMESA Treaty and decisions of the Policy Organs.
To take responsibility of the following divisions of the Secretariat:
- Trade and Customs;
- Infrastructure and Logistics;
- Gender and Social Affairs;
- Information and Networking;
- Industry and Agriculture; and
- Any other divisions established by Council
- FUNCTIONS/ MAIN DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Under the direct supervision and overall guidance of the Secretary General, the incumbent of the post shall perform the following:
- Manage and supervise the operational divisions and have the Divisions’ Directors report to him/her in the design and implementation of COMESA’s multi-sectoral strategic programme planning under the guidance of the Secretary General;
- Be responsible for the implementation of the annual work plan of the divisions under his/her supervision in close liaison with the Secretary General;
- Monitor the progress of the approved annual work plan periodically with the Directors under his/her supervision;
- Provide inputs on the preparation of the organisation’s Mid term Strategic Plan;
- Implement policy decisions as they relate to programmes as directed by the Policy Organs of COMESA in close liaison with Secretary General;
- Collaborate with the Assistant Secretary General (Administration and Finance) on the implementation of the policy decisions relation to operations of the Secretariat;
- Develop the annual work programs with inputs from the Division Directors and Heads of Units; and
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the Secretary General from time to time.
- Minimum Qualifications
A Masters Degree in either Economics, Management, Finance, Social Sciences or related disciplines. Applicants with a PhD in any of the above disciplines will have an added advantage.
- Professional Experience
A minimum of fifteen (15) years experience in senior management with a strong leadership role; experience in managing programmes in a large organisation is essential. Experience with regional organisations will be an added advantage.
- DESIRABLE COMPETENCIES
- Applicants shall be able to demonstrate the following competences:
- Ability to lead teams with diverse technical expertise and cultural backgrounds;
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with others, especially executive and management colleagues, in a multisectoral, professional and knowledge-based environment;
- Be decisive, self-motivated, assertive, and a natural team builder with excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to manage and achieve results through others;
- A high degree of personal integrity and professionalism; and
- Ability to exercise his/her functions with Diplomacy and tact.
- WORKING LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
Applicants must be fluent in English and/or French and/or Arabic (speaking and writing). A combination of any two (2) or all these languages will be an added advantage.
- TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
The successful candidate will be appointed for an initial contract for a period of five (5) years, renewable for a second and final five (5) year term subject to satisfactory performance.
- ELIGIBILITY FOR APPLICATION
Applicants must be citizens of a COMESA Member country.
- MODE OF APPLICATION
All applications MUST be submitted to the COMESA Coordinating Ministry of the respective member States on the prescribed COMESA APPLICATION FORM which can be accessed at the following COMESA website: http://www.comesa.int/, Opportunities, COMESA Job Application Format.
Applications should contain the applicant’s Curriculum Vitae, present and permanent address, telephone and fax numbers, e-mail and details of the applicant’s motivation for applying for the position and other information that the applicant considers appropriate including when he/she is available to assume duties. It shall also include details (including contact addresses and telephone numbers) of at least three (3) references.
Applications submitted directly to the Secretariat will not be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- FINAL DATE FOR RECEIVING APPLICATIONS BY COORDINATING MINISTRIES
All applications must reach the Coordinating Ministry by Monday 1st August 2022.
- FINAL DATE FOR RECEIVING APPLICATIONS FROM COORDINATING MINISTRIES BY COMESA SECRETARIAT
Both hard and soft copies of the relevant documents of the short -listed candidates by the Coordinating Ministries should reach the address below by Monday 19th August, 2022 at least by 18:00 hours Lusaka time:
The Secretary General
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa
Ben Bella Road,
P.O Box 30051,